It’s hard to believe that just a decade ago, zero emission cars were small, indistinct vehicles with little trunk space. In 2018, there are more than fifty such vehicles with style and panache. These include compact cars, sedans, SUVs and luxury vehicles. Here are some of the best options if you’re looking for a high mpg vehicle with zero emissions.
Low Cost with Great Mileage
- Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid – While the 2018 Ioniq is available in both electric and hybrid versions, the Ioniq Hybrid is one of the best values in the zero emission marketplace. The stellar 58 mpg (city/highway) is enough to warrant immediate consideration; the modern, Eco-friendly interior and large hatchback with storage in excess of 26 cubic feet provides much to contemplate. The meager list price of$22,000 put this beauty in the reach of almost everyone seeking a new car.
- Toyota Prius Prime – The Prius Prime is Toyota’s only plug-in hybrid offering of 2018. That’s not a problem when the car is this good. It offers an industry leading combined electric/hybrid economy of54 mpg. It also provides 25 miles of battery-powered, gasoline free driving. With a list price of$27,100 and Toyota’s standard of reliability, it deserves significant consideration.
- Kia Niro – The 2018 Kia Niro SUV offers a best in class combined 49 mpg. This blows away its competitors such as the Nissan Rogue Hybrid and Toyota RAVA4 Hybrid which top out at 35 MPG combined, and cost thousands more. With a roomy interior, comfortable materials, seating for five, and extensive cargo space, it’s a steal at $23,340.
Long Distance Luxury
- BMW i3 – The 2018 BMW i3 Plug-in Hybrid offers unique styling with great range. The car can travel 97 miles before a recharge is needed and offers a gasoline range extender as an option, which allows for total travel of180 miles. The i3 does not lack for power as it brings rapid acceleration and tight handling. All ofthis in a $48,300 list package.
- Lexus NX Hybrid – The 2018 Lexus NX Hybrid offers a luxury class best combined 31 mpg, which is competitive with SUVs across at all market values. It also offers some ofthe best safety ratings and reliability features in the luxury market. With a list price $38,335, it may warrant interest from buyers at the top end of general market who decide the complete package is worth going above their budget.
With great fuel economy and affordable prices all along the scale, there has never been a better time to move into the zero-emission vehicle market; or to upgrade and take advantage of increased mpg and value.